Wednesday, February 17, 2010

DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH: GREAT ANTIQUE FINDS

My personal style involves using traditional, timeless pieces with young, modern flare. For me, mixing classic pieces and unexpected elements bring about an interesting, layered and cozy feel to a space. No better way to find timeless pieces than wandering through antique stores. It’s safe to say that antiquing is in my top five favorite things to do! There is much fun in finding a diamond in the rough! I am learning that the more you go, the more you will train your eye to appreciate things of great quality. The best part is that the prices in most antique stores are negotiable. An owner once told me to remember that the prices are “written in ink, not blood.” May be a bit dramatic, but I sure remember it!
Here are some of my recent finds:
Marbled top brass accent table
I am using this recent find in my powder room. The ball and claw feet are fabulous! I am usually drawn to beautiful pieces that will serve some function.

French jewelry/lingerie chest with fancy brass handles and ormolu trim
Now this was an incredible buy! I love the burl wood and gold accents. There are even little claw feet! So french!

Floral Arylic Painting
What I like about this piece is that it really ties in the colors of my home. It also has a beautiful chic gold frame, which can be challenging to find when searching for a good price!
There are more great finds to come...

1 comment: